I thought to write basics of campaign structure setup for search network only. When you choose to run search network, under network select you see include search partners. If you only want to show ads on Google search engine do not check mark include search partners and if you want to run ads on both search and search partners do select search partners. You can anytime exclude search partners anytime later if you see they are not bringing positive results. Below are the pointers:
1. Select correct campaign & Campaign sub type. It should be Search network only – All Features. Standard type campaign doesn’t support some features. Therefore, it is always recommended to select “All Features”. You are not paying anything extra for this feature type. Everything will be in your control which feature to enable and which should not.
2. Do proper keyword research using keyword planner which is a free tool by Google or any external tool if you aware of. Keywords should be relevant. I usually prefer to divide keywords in two lists one is primary (which is directly related to account) second is secondary (which is indirectly related). Do not just download sheet from tool and upload it online. You need to go through all keywords and select keywords which are relevant.
3. Once you have keywords bifurcate them in tightly themed groups. Just don’t mix keyword theme in single adgroup. Suppose you have three themes for e.g.
1. Shoes Online shopping 2. Buy Shoes Online 3. Buy branded shoes online
Although all of these three keywords are related and can go in the same adgroup but still I suggest to create separate adgroup for better QS and then you can also write highly relevant adcopy text and relevant display url.
4. Proper usage of match types. We have four match types at the moment Broad, Broad match modifier (BMM), phrase and Exact. I never suggest using broad and BMM both in the campaign as BMM is an advance version of Broad. I prefer BMM, Phrase and exact 98% times and 2% I use broad, phrase and exact. I would advise to think for a moment which match type will fit well with the goals that you have for your advertising campaign. Read Keywords Match Types
5. Bids: Keep high bids for primary keywords and little lesser bids for secondary keywords because primary keywords are the ones directly related to your advertising & secondary are indirectly related. We also set bids according to match types High for exact, less for phrase and least for BMM/broad.
6. Adcopy: Catchy adcopy with some direct keywords and a direct message. Basically adcopy should say what your landing page is all about. I believe adcopy should always reflect landing page. Visitor should already aware what he is gonna find on the page where he will be landing after clicking adcopy. Strong call to action, offers it any. It would be really great if you make your adcopy different from competitors (if possible). You can add keyword in display url if it fits character limits. Mostly advertisers doesn’t give display url much importance. We recommend to utilize space in display url by adding keyword. Lastly, add the most specific and relevant landing page.
7. Location Targeting: Target area from where audiences are. Suppose your audiences are from a particular city and you are targeting whole country. Does it make sense to you? Well No, Not at all. Always give yourself time to think and target locations and advance location settings keeping audience type in mind. You can always create a separate campaign if you are targeting multiple locations for better management, reporting and optimization. (It also depends on the budget that you have to spend on your adwords account).
8. Device Targeting: We can target desktop, mobile and tablet and can make bid modifications for devices. We should consider devices to target and bids for each device.
9. Ad Extensions: Try to take advantage of Ad extensions. Benefit: The most important it is now a consideration factor of Ad Rank. Ad extensions are anyways beneficial as it helps improve CTR which is main faction of quality score and also gives users more opportunities to reach you. Add relevant ad extensions to your campaign.
10. Negative Keywords: When setting up search campaign, do not just forgot negative keyword as you never forget eating. While searching positive keywords collect negative keywords too or just think for a while and add some general negative keywords at least. For example: You have a luxury accessories online store, people who are looking for cheap, affordable accessories won’t be able to spend on luxury accessories. In this case you can add initial negative cheap, cheapest, affordable etc. Always remember to add close variants of negative keywords as Google AdWords system doesn’t support close variants of negative keywords. And use proper negative keyword strategy as in consider match types and where to add negative at campaign level or at adgroup level.
Lastly Most Important: Just do not create campaign and forget. Search campaign needs proper optimization and management for better ROI.